[imp] How to add enviromental variable when sending from IMP

Rich Lafferty rich@alcor.concordia.ca
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:08:38 -0400

[Back to the mailing list!]

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 06:47:17PM -0700, John McCoy, Jr (jmccoy@mills.edu) wrote:
> Qmail scans all regular smtp connections fine, adds a line to the header
> too. Nothing is added on emails sent through IMP. Qmail normally adds it
> right before calling qmail-smtpd, possibly qmail-inject removes the setting?

Er, I'm confused. (Or maybe you are. :-)

IMP isn't sending mail via SMTP; it's calling a program on the host it
runs on which sends the mail. In your case, I guess that would be
qmail's sendmail-compatible wrapper (but remember that I don't use
qmail.)

It sounds to me that you're expecting the virus-checking that your
system does on incoming mail to work on mail sent out from IMP; but
incoming mail isn't outgoing mail, and there's no reason for IMP to
use the SMTP server on the machine it's running on.

(I've never seen virus-checking on *outgoing* mail.)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services