[imp] select.php3, long mailbox names, and $abbrev in mailbox_list

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:42:50 -0400

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:21:57AM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > In particular, while IMP happily deals with a folder named
> > "This is a long folder name designed to trigger the name abbreviation",
> > it *didn't* deal with "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm", because the trigger
> > length is 26 characters. Unfortunately, I can get it to appear too
> > large at 20 characters, and the users in question got it to happen at
> > 15 and 18 (x2) respectively.
> >
> > While the easy fix for this is to reduce that 26, I'm assuming it
> > wasn't chosen arbitrarily. Should this become configurable? Or does
> > the choice of trigger length just need to be re-evaluated?
>
> Actually, I think it _was_ fairly arbitrary (Jon?). I don't see
> a real need to put a huge amount of work into this; the problem
> goes away in 2.3. If you think we should just shorten it for
> any future 2.2 releases, go for it.

It was basically an arbitrary decision.  I just picked the
longest values that would display cleanly in all of the browsers
I had at the time. =)

Changing it won't cause any problems.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology