[imp] username and password mechanism

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 1 May 2001 11:48:55 -0400

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 08:38:18PM +0500, Abid Ghufran (abidghufran@hotmail.com) wrote:
> What is the mechanism imp/horde webmail uses to access and verify username
> and password? Does it use the username and passwords from the local machine
> /etc/password file or some other mechanism?

It uses IMAP (or POP, but I'd strongly recommend IMAP).

> I have installed the webmail setup on a RedHat linux machine. I am using
> sendmail as MTA. I do not have LDAP,IMAP or User Database at the moment. I
> just want to test the basic operation and function of webmail.

You don't mention which version you're using; you will need to satisfy
*some* prerequisites to get it to work. In 2.2, that means a database
(or shared memory, but I'd encourage you to throw postgres or mysql on
there to test) and a POP or IMAP server. In 2.3, you don't need a database.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services