[imp] username and password mechanism

Abid Ghufran abidghufran@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 May 2001 21:46:30 +0500

Dear All,

I am using php version 4, imap-2000-3,postgresql-7.0.2-17,
horde-1.2,imp-2.2, openldap-1.2.11-15,openssl-0.9.5a-14 and all other
required rpms. OF THESE openldap, openssl and imap are yet to be configured.

This is all on Linux RedHat 7 machine with Sendmail 8.11 and apache. I have
installed sendmail using the generice linux conf file. I can see the logon
prompt at the apache imp/horde webmail site. But cant access as the username
and passsword connectivity cant be established. My sendmail is also fully
connected and functional with the internet.

I guess this should give you a hint about my environemt.

Thank you,
Abid Ghufran.

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 08:38:18PM +0500, Abid Ghufran
(abidghufran@hotmail.com) wrote:

What is the mechanism imp/horde webmail uses to access and verify username
and password? Does it use the username and passwords from the local machine
/etc/password file or some other mechanism?

>>It uses IMAP (or POP, but I'd strongly recommend IMAP).

I have installed the webmail setup on a RedHat linux machine. I am using
sendmail as MTA. I do not have LDAP,IMAP or User Database at the moment. I
just want to test the basic operation and function of webmail.

>>You don't mention which version you're using; you will need to satisfy
>>*some* prerequisites to get it to work. In 2.2, that means a database
>>(or shared memory, but I'd encourage you to throw postgres or mysql on
>>there to test) and a POP or IMAP server. In 2.3, you don't need a

   -Rich