[imp] unspecified function pg_pconnect() error ?

Rick Stevens rstevens@vitalstream.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 13:33:54 -0700

JayasankarGNair wrote:

> Thanks Rick , now  I have removed postgres and compiled the apache now the
> pg_pconnect error is not coming ..
> But still  when I try to connect to my pop3 server giving my user name and
> password
> I'm getting a blank screen.

You removed PostgreSQL?  Ok.  What are you using for preferences and/or
session management now?  You should have SQL or shared memory set up
for sessions at least.

> user name : my username on pop3 server
> password :  my password
> server :  my pop3 server
> port :  110
> folder : /home/usrname/mail/inbox/
> language : english
>
> Is it because my IMP server is not able to connect to my pop3 server.I dont
> have a sendmail configured
> on my IMP server.

I can't say.  I see you set the protocol from IMAP to POP.  Have you
looked at the pop server's logs to see if a connection is being made
between the two systems?  Can you telnet to the mail server from the
IMP server and verify connections?  Here's how:

POP session:
	You type:	telnet <your-mail-server> 110
	Server says:	+OK <pop server welcome message>
	You type:	user <whoever>
	Server says:	+OK Password needed for whoever
	You type:	pass <password>
	Server says:	+OK whoever has x messages (n octets)
	You type:	quit
	Server says:	+OK <pop server logout message>

IMAP session:
	You type:	telnet <your-mail-server> 143
	Server says:	<imap server welcome message>
	You type:	1 login <username> <password>
	Server says:	1 OK LOGIN completed
	You type:	2 logout
	Server says:	* BYE <server logout message>
			2 OK LOGOUT completed

> Since both my IMP server and POP3 server are internal and I dont have an
> internal  DNS configured in my intranet I'm finding it difficult to
> configure my sendmail.I'm getting a "nslookup error" always when I use
> "sendmail -v mail@mydomain.com " command on my IMP server.Can you pls
> suggest me a solution.

If your mail is only being used internally (local delivery), you don't
need DNS but you must remove the "@domain" stuff from the destination
address.

If you intend to send mail outside of your domain, you MUST have DNS
as sendmail must look up the MX records for the destination domain in
order to send the mail to the destination's mail server.  The trigger
for this is the "@" in the name.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-                 Dyslexics of the world: UNTIE!                     -