Fwd: Re: [imp] username and password mechanism

Abid Ghufran abidghufran@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 May 2001 12:59:22 +0500

I tried this and the Imap server (deamon on the same machine) responds
perfectly well as expected. Is it possible that i specify host IPs rather
than host names for the machines corresponding to MTA and IMAP server? I
mean can the horde setup work with IP addresses rather than hostnames? This
can give me an idea of what might be the matter.

Thank you,
Abid Ghufran.

Abid Ghufran wrote:

>I have installed the imap-2000-3 and have configured it in /etc/services
>and /etc/xinetd.d directory. Still i am unable to get through the login
>process it says that ;
>
>Either you have logged in incorrectly or
>your login has expired. Please login again.
>
>What does this mean?

Your login to the IMAP server failed.  Can you get in with other IMAP
clients? (Outlook or Eudora or Netscape)

If you have a telnet client, try this:

     You type:    telnet <your-mail-server> 143
     Server says: <imap server welcome message>
     You type:    1 login <username> <password>
     Server says: 1 OK LOGIN completed
     You type:    2 logout
     Server says: * BYE <server logout message>
                  2 OK LOGOUT completed

If that doesn't work, your IMAP server is broken and IMP will NOT work.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -