[imp] errors attaching file to email

Matthew Hilty mhilty@artic.edu
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:57:00 -0500

Hi,
	I experienced the exact same error after upgrading from 2.2.1
to 2.2.4, and had to supress the error messages so that we could
maintain services...one problem, however, is that it takes
significantly longer to attach a file, which can be disconcerting
over a modem connection/slowwwww network.  Another problem is that
  	At this point, and I am beginning to suspect that this is
directly related to another problem that I have noticed, and reported
to the list regarding MIME type encoding when sending mail from IMP.
The MIME problem is expressed by all outgoing attachments sent from
IMP being encoded as application/octet-stream, and while this is now
a function of the browser, it is broken on absolutely every browser I
have tried, bar none!  Responses to my post about this problem
indicate that it should be solved by changing MIME/helper-app
associations in the browser, which did not work at all to fix this
problem with IMP.  The litmus test for how my browser handles MIME
attachments is to send a message/attachment using another mail
client, and to read/decode it with IMP, which works fine, and can
launch all sorts of fancy rendering windows for Word docs, jpgs,
etc...
	 I suspect that the Warning about garbled headers renders IMP
unable to correctly detect the browser's "advertisement" of the MIME
type of an attachment, so it falls back to application/octet-stream,
which forces attachments to be downloaded by the recipient....not too
out of the ordinary, except that many people are accustomed using IMP
to send attachments, and prior to the upgrade, had absolutely no
problem like this....so, I further suspect that if this bug gets
fixed regarding  "Upload Mime headers garbled..." that IMP will
understand my browser better....sound reasonable?
	Discussion about this error has suggested both a bad rpm'ing
of PHP (php-3.0.18-6.2horde1) and also the classic
whitespace-outside-a-bracket-vs-additional-headers
error that often throws "Cannot add more header" error, but it
doesn't seem to have been resolved, and grepping through includes for
trailing whitespace is a tedious bore, and probably not necessary
here, since most of the code is very consistently written.  So, in
the interest of killing two bugs with one post...if anyone
experiencing the Garbled Headers bug has also found that sending
attachments with IMP in 2.2.4 doesn't work as previously, please
sound off!  First step here is to try another version of PHP,
basically, which I'll try in the meantime, but I'd love to hear from
other folks who are bearing with this Current phase of IMP (before we
all upgrade again that is:)

Thanks!

matthew

RedHat 6.2