Outlook Address Book and IMP

John Morrissey jwm@horde.net
Tue, 22 May 2001 19:50:23 -0400

% Okay I love IMP and it works great for me.  Of course I am more of a linux user
% then the rest of the company.  As for the majority they like windows and love
% there windows Outlook address book, so im curious about a wild idea.  What im
% wondering is if there is any way that can be setup using imp so that imp will
% read someone's contacts out of maybe we will say a "outlook" address book?
%
% Hrmm..maybe they can export the address book into a different format and then
% have IMP read for that user out of a certain file?
%
% Im not sure about how to go about this, but basicaly they want access to there
% address books while there on the road.
%
% Any help would be appreciated.

I've written a patch that lets you import your Outlook address book into
IMP's contact list. First you export your contacts list from Outlook and
then import it into IMP. It's available from
http://horde.net/~jwm/software/imp/.

You mentioned implementing LDAP. I believe Outlook can store address book
information in an LDAP database; that might be a better idea than using my
import-contacts patch because your users would automatically have identical
address books in both IMP and Outlook because they both would look to the
LDAP directory (they wouldn't have to keep re-importing their address books
into IMP).

% Tom

john
--