[imp] IMP 2.2.5 - incorrect login hangs IMP itself?

Lars Hecking lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie
Thu, 31 May 2001 16:41:37 +0100

Jason Byrns writes:
> IMP 2.2.5
> Horde 1.2.5
> Apache 1.3.19
> Solaris 8
>

> IMP works great, unless you have a bad password or login.  Instead of timing
> out in about ten seconds, like usual, it just hangs forever as it tries to
> authenticate...
>
> If I use Horde's demo IMP server to connect to the IMAP server on this
> system, I have no problems.  If I log in correctly, it works just fine.
>
> This server was recently upgraded and replaced.  The 2.0 IMP we've been
> using (with much success!) has been reinstalled with the latest stable
> release...
>
> Can someone offer suggestions, or at least help me understand more how to
> turn on debug modes or something?  I looked for a log file generated by IMP,
> but I don't see one.  Is this a debug level that must be increased?

 Works for me here, same IMP/horde/apache/Soalrs versions. I get bumped
 back to the login screen, with the additional text
  Either you have logged in incorrectly or your login
           has expired. Please login again.

 Have checked the mail logs on the machine that runs the imap server?
 You should see something like

May 31 16:34:23 mailserv imapd[8255]: Login failure user=lhecking host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:26 mailserv imapd[8255]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:26 mailserv imapd[8255]: Login failure user=lhecking host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:29 mailserv imapd[8255]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:29 mailserv imapd[8255]: Login failure user=lhecking host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:32 mailserv imapd[8255]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=impbox [ip]
May 31 16:34:32 mailserv imapd[8255]: Logout user=??? host=impbox [ip]