Idle Time Out

Parag Godkar paragg@konark.ncst.ernet.in
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:41:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there again,

We have set up IMP on red hat linux 7.0 box and enabled idle timeout of 5
minutes in class HordeSession in /var/www/horde-phplib/local.inc -

var $lifetime       = 5;       // 0 = do session cookies, else minutes

This had initially created a problem as I had written earlier that some of
the machines were unable to access the Webmail as any user used to be
thrown out on login and clicking any of the displayed mails.

Then, as Chuck had replied and asked us to check the time on these
machines, we found that on resetting the time to match that of the server
on which IMP was running, the problem vanished.

But, recently our CEO was unable to access his mails when he was on a tour
out of state. He faced the same problem.

I wanted to know if standard times of two nations do not match then will
this timeout feature fail and always throw out the user accessing the
mails from another country ? If yes, then is there a better way of
implementing idle timeout that actually checks how much time the user has
been idle and does not compare the server and client times ?

Regards,
Parag Godkar.