Theory

Todd Lyons todd@mrball.net
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:12:54 -0700

I've been lurking for a few days, reading FAQ's, reading links, reading
everything I can get my hands/eyes on.  Verify that the following
observations are correct or not correct.

1) Using mysql instead of shared memory is more efficient for session
management
2) Default is to use IMAP for authentication
3) To use LDAP for authentication I have to use the devel tree.  I've
not found schema requirements yet (mod_php and php-ldap are installed)
4) It _seems_ from the devel tree config that I could use LDAP for
session management if I wanted to.  No documentation really spells
that out in the devel tree :) (kinda the definition of devel).  That
seems like it would be a waste since LDAP is optimized for reads, not
writes

I have a working (test) qmail/courierimap/ldap system, so I would of course
prefer to have IMP do authentication via LDAP.  LDAP itself is not that
complicated, finding out how to configure IMP with schema/attributes is
the current hurdle.  In the meanwhile, I continue to pore through the
devel tree looking for clues at how to configure things.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |