[imp] Theory

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:47:01 -0400

Quoting Todd Lyons <todd@mrball.net>:

> Allow a user to login so they can check their mail.  That's it.

That has to happen against the IMAP server. IMP doesn't care what the IMAP
server checks that login against, but the IMAP server won't talk to IMP until
you log in to it.

> My mailserver and imap server already authenticate against LDAP.  I am
> trying to figure out if I can get IMP to authenticate when users login
> against LDAP, or if I'll be forced to have IMP authenticate user
> logins against the imap server.

What do you mean, "forced to have IMP authenticate against user logins against
the imap server"? Of course IMP has to go through the IMAP server - it's an
IMAP client.

> I really need to do more homework before I ask more questions.  My main
> questions were along the line of how to authenticate a user login, but
> all I asked was how to authenticate.  Your response was authenticate
> what? which implies that there are more things to authenticate than just
> user login.  If that's the case, I need to read more and figure out what
> other things there ARE to authenticate besides the user login.

Well, Horde 1.3 has a user framework which you can log in to that is seperate
from an IMP login (although it can be configured to use IMP logins). This is
used for applications like the calendar, task list, etc. But it doesn't sound
like you're asking about this, so don't worry about it for now.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.