Mime problems? application/x-unknown

Neil Johnson njohnson10@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

When I try to download a word doc attacment(xls,ppt,jpg,zip do much the same) by clicking the download icon on a message.  I get the netscape unknown file type dialog and the type that netscape seems detect is (for word doc example) application/x-unknown-application-msword.  At that point you have to go pick your exe file for the association(even though netscape has application/msword set correctly) or you can save the file.

I have tried setting mime.php3 to allow viewing the attachments inline and that seems to work better but, netscape will open a blank browser which doesn't close until the user closes it manually.  Netscape does prompt to open or save as correctly.  I assume this means that the mime type is correct and netscape knows the file is a word doc(which is the way I'd like the download icon to work).

Does anyone have any input as to what to do to correct the download problem I'm having in netscape?  Internet Explorer works fine(Most of the users here will be using netscape, however).

The Apache mime.types and mime.php3 file are both default with the exception of removing the link to the mswordview function in mime.php3.  I'm runing netscape 4.75 and I am unsure of the problem in other netscape versions - although I have the same problem from several machines running 4.x netscape.  I am running IMP 2.2.5 and Horde 1.2.5 on RH 7.0 with apache 1.3.20 with mod_ssl.  I did not install the wordviewer or any of the other viewers.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at my issue. I apologize if my message doesn't make sense...If it doesn't please let me know and I'll try again after getting some sleep(I've been at work for 14hrs now and I'm extremely tired).

Thanks again!

Neil Johnson