[imp] IMP CVS problem...

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:18:49 -0400

Quoting Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 04:57:08PM -0400, francus@metsny.yossi.com wrote:
>
> > What is the difference connecting to imp via https: and letting the web
> > session take care of ssl and connecting to imap/ssl on port 993?
>
> The first encrypts the HTTP connection between the browser and
> the web server.  The second encrypts the IMAP connection between
> the web server and the IMAP server.

Speaking of which...

Has anyone else here had trouble configuring and using php 4.0.7-dev --with-imap and/or --with-imap-ssl?

This may not be the proper forum for this, and if so, I apologize.  (Yes, I should report this as a bug on www.php.net/bugs.php;  this thread came up first, though.)

I've been trying to configure it with the c-client.a from imap-2000 (and imap-2001) but have been getting a configure error when testing for SSL support in imap:
"This c-client library does not support SSL.  Recompile or remove --with-imap-ssl from configure line".  The trouble is, it's the same c-client.a that configured and compiled okay with php 4.0.5 and 4.0.6-dev.  I'm using it right now.

But wait...  There's more!

Even if I remove --with-imap-ssl, and php configures, compiles, and installs okay, imp logs in to my imap server okay but then unceremoniously drops the connection.  More to the point, I get "Command stream end of file while reading line..." messages in mail.log.

Interestingly, I've commented out the "else" portion of configure that issues the error message above, and it configures and compiles okay.  Subsequently, imp will make a valid imaps connection, and...  drops the connection, as before.

FWIW,"Command stream end of file, while reading line" simply means that the IMAP client disconnected the TCP connection without doing a proper LOGOUT first.

Okay, details:

RedHat Linux, 6.2
Horde: 1.3.4-cvs
IMP: 2.3.7-cvs
Turba: 0.0.3-cvs
Kronolith: 0.0.3-cvs
Nag: 0.0.2-cvs
PHP: 4.0.6-dev (works)
PHP: 4.0.7-dev (suffers regarding imap/imap-ssl)
UWash c-client from imap-2000c and imap-2001 releases

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
signature under NDA