[imp] Stunnel for encoding poppassd.php3 traffic.

Christopher Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:59:39 -0500

I have been asking about this on and off for some time. How do you configure
IMP to use SSL for poppassd.

The solution that I have finally arrived at is to use stunnel on the
poppassd server, and an inetd socket on the localhost which spawns an
instance of an openssl client.  I made a change to poppassd.php3 to skip
over the initial openssl information lines. Running openssl with -quiet
wans't enough to supress all the initial output of openssl. Otherwise,
poppassd.php3 didn't need to be modified.

I will probably convert the inetd - openssl configuration on the IMP server
to a stunnel daemon. I haven't been able to successfully implement this,
yet.

Chris