Message threading

Ken Murchison ken@oceana.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:42:26 -0400

This has probably been touched on before, but has there been any thought
given to allowing messages to appear in a threaded (tree) fashion?  Now
that the folder list has a tree-based representation, it seems that
displaying messages in a similar way would be the next logical
step.

I know that c-client supports the IMAP THREAD command as do the UW and
Cyrus servers (I wrote the Cyrus implementation), so the underlying
functionality is available.  At the very least, THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
could be used to group messages by thread in a "flat" view, using the
current IMP display technique.  But given the fact that a tree GUI
component is available, THREAD=REFERENCES seems the obvious choice.

I'm not a PHP guy, but it seems that all the pieces of the puzzle are
there.  Thoughts?

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127