[imp] Message threading

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:57:32 -0400

Quoting Ken Murchison <ken@oceana.com>:

> This has probably been touched on before, but has there been any thought
> given to allowing messages to appear in a threaded (tree) fashion? Now
> that the folder list has a tree-based representation, it seems that
> displaying messages in a similar way would be the next logical step.
>
> I know that c-client supports the IMAP THREAD command as do the UW and
> Cyrus servers (I wrote the Cyrus implementation), so the underlying
> functionality is available.  At the very least, THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
> could be used to group messages by thread in a "flat" view, using the
> current IMP display technique.  But given the fact that a tree GUI
> component is available, THREAD=REFERENCES seems the obvious choice.
>
> I'm not a PHP guy, but it seems that all the pieces of the puzzle are
> there.  Thoughts?

Yes, and php has an imap_thread() call now. All of the pieces are there -
except someone to put them together. :)  It's definitely on my "should do this
since it's cool and useful" list, but it won't make it to the top of my list
anytime soon...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.