One user login problem

Todd Aiken taiken@ubishops.ca
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:37:06 -0400

I am having problems with one of my users not being able to login to
IMP 2.3.7 cvs (checked out a few weeks ago).  He enters his
username/password into the login screen, and gets "The document
contains no data" a few seconds after clicking the login button.  I can
see from my web server logs that Apache (1.3.20 with PHP 4.0.7dev)
segfaults, but can't figure out why.  I thought at first it was a problem
talking to the IMAP server, but I checked out the logs there too and they
show a successful login, plus I am able to use other IMAP clients and
log into this user's new mail and folders.  It is not this user's particular
browsers (tried both IE and Netscape) as other users can log in using
his machine without any problems, but he cannot login to other
machines as well.  Now he's going away on vacation and really wants to
use webmail (and my boss REALLY wants me to fix this problem, as
the user having problems is the VP Academic of our university!)  Any
ideas?  I am a little bit hesitant to update Horde/IMP now that our site is
getting used quite a bit, but if I must, I must.

Also, twice now since I've installed IMP, everyone's users preferences
have been lost (using MySQL).  The first time was when I changed the
login server options to eliminate the server choice dialog boxes (which I
read a few days ago on this list one other user also lost his site's
preferences as well), but this last time was when I was troubleshooting
the above problem (might have happened during a reboot of the server-
MySQL and IMP reside on the same server).  Checking out the
horde_prefs table, and it comes up empty.  Any tips on how to avoid
this?  Probably a script file backing up the database every so often
wouldn't be a bad idea to start with.

CU L8R...

-------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Todd A. Aiken                  | This space can be yours, for just four
Systems Administrator          | easy payments of $39.95.  Plus, buy
Cole Computer Centre           | one half and get the 2nd half for 50%
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY            | off the cost of the two together!
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA    | Call 1-800-4-RIPOFF today!

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Wed,  4 Jul 2001 14:23:03 -0400
> I am having problems with one of my users not being able to login to
> IMP 2.3.7 cvs (checked out a few weeks ago).  He enters his
> username/password into the login screen, and gets "The document
> contains no data" a few seconds after clicking the login button.  I can
> see from my web server logs that Apache (1.3.20 with PHP 4.0.7dev)
> segfaults, but can't figure out why.  I thought at first it was a problem
> talking to the IMAP server, but I checked out the logs there too and they
> show a successful login, plus I am able to use other IMAP clients and
> log into this user's new mail and folders.  It is not this user's particular
> browsers (tried both IE and Netscape) as other users can log in using
> his machine without any problems, but he cannot login to other
> machines as well.  Now he's going away on vacation and really wants to
> use webmail (and my boss REALLY wants me to fix this problem, as
> the user having problems is the VP Academic of our university!)  Any
> ideas?  I am a little bit hesitant to update Horde/IMP now that our site is
> getting used quite a bit, but if I must, I must.

See the directions on bugs.php.net for getting a backtrace, and enter it in the
php bugs system.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.