[imp] One user login problem

Todd Aiken taiken@ubishops.ca
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:14:08 -0400

> Quoting Todd Aiken <taiken@ubishops.ca>:
>
> > I am having problems with one of my users not being able to login to
> > IMP 2.3.7 cvs (checked out a few weeks ago).  He enters his
> > username/password into the login screen, and gets "The document
> > contains no data" a few seconds after clicking the login button.  I can
> > see from my web server logs that Apache (1.3.20 with PHP 4.0.7dev)
> > segfaults, but can't figure out why.  I thought at first it was a problem
> > talking to the IMAP server, but I checked out the logs there too and they
> > show a successful login, plus I am able to use other IMAP clients and
> > log into this user's new mail and folders.  It is not this user's particular
> > browsers (tried both IE and Netscape) as other users can log in using
> > his machine without any problems, but he cannot login to other
> > machines as well.  Now he's going away on vacation and really wants to
> > use webmail (and my boss REALLY wants me to fix this problem, as
> > the user having problems is the VP Academic of our university!)  Any
> > ideas?  I am a little bit hesitant to update Horde/IMP now that our site is
> > getting used quite a bit, but if I must, I must.
>
> See the directions on bugs.php.net for getting a backtrace, and enter it in the
> php bugs system.

Well, after a little more investigating, I think I have solved the problem.
It turns out that the login was failing due to one of the new mail
messages in the user's inbox.  Renaming the file to a .TXT file, and the
login works.  Examining the message more closely, it appears to be
from a list, and there is nothing to the left of the @ sign in the email
address specified in the "To:" field in the headers.  Would this be a
good enough reason to cause Apache/PHP to segfault?

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken                  | This space can be yours, for just four
Systems Administrator          | easy payments of $39.95.  Plus, buy
Cole Computer Centre           | one half and get the 2nd half for 50%
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY            | off the cost of the two together!
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA    | Call 1-800-4-RIPOFF today!