[imp] authentication failing with imp and horde

Scott Douglass scott@spacepirates.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:59:22 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Scott Douglass <scott@spacepirates.com>:
>
> > With older versions of IMP logins did not attempt to use CRAM-MD5 (or
> > other available SASL plugins) but always used plain text. Which was fine
> > for me since everything is running on the same host and my client's are
> > connecting over SSL.
>
> You need to either disable CRAM-MD5 in the c-client that IMP uses, or to
> disable it in the imap server...

Hmm. I used the UW IMAP c-client with PHP, and that doesn't have any hooks
into SASL that I know of. Where is IMP getting the idea to use CRAM-MD5?

I can't disable SASL support in my server, though I could remove the CRAM-MD5
plugin.

I just tried removing the libcrammd* files from /usr/lib/sasl, and now
IMP tries to use plain text! Cool, however it now fails with this message:

Jul  9 18:51:07 foo imapd[819]: badlogin: foo [xx.xx.xx.xx] plaintext
`2^D^H^D^M'^Hh2^D^HD^S^^^HH3^D^Hy|e^^XA}^|2^D^HtW^]^H^D3^D^HLk&^H^D invalid
user
Jul  9 18:51:07 foo imapd[819]: badlogin: foo [xx.xx.xx.xx] plaintext
tW^]^H^D3^D^HLk&^H^D invalid user

What the heck?