authentication failing with imp and horde

Scott Douglass scott@spacepirates.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:27:56 -0700

Can anyone explain why I can't login to my imap server using horde/imp?
I can login just fine with all other IMAP clients (Netscape
Communicator, Cyrusoft Mulberry, MS Outlook, Netscape Web Mail -perl cgi
based-) I've tried.

Versions:
Horde: 1.3.5-cvs
IMP: 2.3.7-cvs
PHP: 4.0.6

Cyrus IMAPD: 2.0.12
Cyrus SASL: 1.5.24
OpenSSL 0.9.6a
Apache+mod_ssl 1.3.14

[everything is running on the same host]

My imapd reports:
Jul  9 04:01:01 foo imapd[3616]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1] CRAM-MD5
authentication failure [no secret in database]

Everytime I try to login via the imp login.php page.

When I login with Cyrusoft Mulberry set to use CRAM-MD5 it works:

Jul  9 11:27:37 foo imapd[5656]: starttls: TLSv1 with cipher
DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168 bits) no authentication
Jul  9 11:27:37 foo imapd[5656]: login: [xx.xx.xx.xx] scott CRAM-MD5+TLS
User logged in

With older versions of IMP logins did not attempt to use CRAM-MD5 (or
other available SASL plugins) but always used plain text. Which was fine
for me since everything is running on the same host and my client's are
connecting over SSL.

Scott