[imp] does horde-1.3.4/imp-2.3.6 require phplib or something else I'm missing?

Anders Gjerløv anders@gjerlov.dk
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:47:32 +0200

>> I'm now trying to get horde-1.3.4 with imp-2.3.6 up,
>> but am getting errors like this on the screen when
>> I try to view /horde/index.php
>I dont think those two snapshots work with each other ... I _highly_
>recommend you check out the sources from CVS, using instructions at
>http://horde.org/source
While this /might/ be a good piece of advice, I for one would
understand why it's not the best option.

The documentation is severely behind the rest of the development (as it
actually also is in the imp-2.3.6 package :-/

Just to start from the very begining with horde from CVS. Get it into
your web root (where I would want it) and load your webbrowser. The
following is shown:

"HORDE - ERROR : HORDE LIB NOT CONFIGURED

You need to create the ./lib/ structure to use Horde.
To do this :

     cd into the horde root
     cd lib/src
     ./buildlib --with-(database options i.e. mysql)
     e.x.
     ./buildlib --with-mysql"

Cool!!! That is until you realize that [horde root]/lib/src doesn't
exist. Neither does the buildlib file. There is however a buildlib.php3
file. Cool! And at the beginning of this file it reads: "Port of the
buildlib.pl program to php3". Great. However, opening that file in a
webbrowser only generates a html document containing the following:
correct html code as it's missing a </head> tag - but really, fairly
useless.

Ok - so what then. FAQ's?! They can hardly be expected to be updated
with the very latest source files. . .

What I'm trying to get at, is that there are people (me if no one
else), that were /amazed/ (!!!!) the first time we installed horde/imp.
We got a /really/ cool webmail program. And that came extremely fast
(it took me app. 15 minutes the first time), and it just worked! Now
I've spent most of 2 days trying to get the latest tarballs working
because I get a mysql warning about a deprecated function call. And now
at the end of day 2 (where I only ever got as far as having horde
itself working - which by itself is pretty, but useless), I see a mail
(admitted - I havn't been on the mailing list before), that these two
packages don't work together. . . If that's true, then why (I really
fail to grasp this) is there _no_ mention of this in the README, or
INSTALL files?!?!?

I really like IMP - it's totally cool. And my users agree, but it also
seems that I should consider living with the mysql warnings for now. My
time at the moment is too valuable to work with CVS - which by nature
is code in development, and as such, not something that you would place
in a "production environment". Or am I mistaken here?

If the developers need testing (or help in updating manuals!), then I'd
be glad to help, but until then I'll wait for the next set of
compatible packages.

Kind regards,
Anders

Toggle the fug!

"Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing
more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to take
away."

                        - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry