[imp] Writing to user's .forward file from IMP

Christopher Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:49:44 -0700

> A better approach might be to somehow use IMP for authentication
> through IMAP (is this possible?) and then maybe a perl script to edit
those
> files.

This seems to be the alternative. However, the perl / php script would be
run as nobody, or whatever user that the webserver is run as.  I would need
to give nobody some added permissions to write to all user's home
directories. I don't want to do that on the webserver.

The spin on this scheme that I considered is to write the information to a
file as nobody, then let a priveledged user account cron job do some more
sanity checking on the stored info, then write the files, and invoke the
vacation program as the user.