[imp] Writing to user's .forward file from IMP

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:53:42 -0400

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:49:44PM -0700, Christopher Crowley (ccrowley@tulane.edu) wrote:
> > A better approach might be to somehow use IMP for authentication
> > through IMAP (is this possible?) and then maybe a perl script to edit
> those
> > files.
>
> This seems to be the alternative. However, the perl / php script would be
> run as nobody, or whatever user that the webserver is run as.  I would need
> to give nobody some added permissions to write to all user's home
> directories. I don't want to do that on the webserver.

Have the PHP program run a setuid-root program that drops privs as
soon as it knows what user it needs to run as. Or, for that matter,
have that program run as a daemon. Or if you have the user's username
and password already, copy files around over ftp or scp.

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  "Do not dangle the mouse by the cord or