demo server

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:08:57 +0100

m.ibarra@cdcixis-na.com wrote:

> Anil, our boxes come with either Mandrake or Open-
> BSD, I know that you would want obsd, no?

Actually, I'm scouting around to buy a new dual-proc box to install
FreeBSD on.  I have a NetApp here to put all the files on, and FreeBSD's
NFS client is far better than OpenBSD's (unfortunately, since I really
like OpenBSD).

Can anyone recommend a good (and not too expensive) 1U/2U dual-proc x86
based server with decent remote management?  I'm looking at the HP
NetServer LPR1000 series right now, and it seems pretty good.

Donations are always welcome of course :-)  The box will be used for
free software only (OpenBSD mirror, OpenFX, Horde, and misc. software).
Caveat: it's got to get over to London somehow - I can pick up shipping.
If noone can do this, I'll buy one next week.

To answer Keith's question: bandwidth usage varies, but spikes a lot
since some kind souls decide to download massive attachments via the
interface every so often.  I've got a lot of bandwidth courtesy of
EasyNet ... just need a stable machine now.

cheers,
Anil