[imp] Cannot make IMP + IMAP-SSL under Solaris 8 work

Luis Martinez luimarma@iti.upv.es
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:49:27 +0200

Hi again,

So if this is your problem, then follow my suggestions,

Make an ssl tunnel between an unused port (which you configured IMP to look
for the imap server) and 993 (where your uw-imap should be listening to)

And that's all, you will be able to use imaps with your php-ssl less setup.

An exmple command of stunnel would be:

/usr/local/sbin/stunnel -s YourWebUser -g YourWebGroup -c -d 9993 \
	-r  localhost:993

Luis

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 19:08, Jose Gracia Neto wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     It seems nobody is understanding my problem:
>     I have two installations of IMP. One is on a OpenBSD machine, and it
> works just fine.
>     The other one is on a sparc machine running Solaris 8.
>     I compiled uw-imap WITH SSL support. I set up port 143 for regular
> imap, and 993 for imaps (IMAP with SSL).
>     I am using the latest openssl.
>     It doesn't work on 993, only on 143. The reason is because my PHP
> won't compile with the --with-imap-ssl option.
>     I am using the --with-openssl option. I am specifying my directories
> too.
>     It compiles just fine without the --with-imap-ssl option, but (of
> course) it does not provide the necessary support for IMP.
>     When I try to compile PHP (latest version), it says that my c-client
> library does not support SSL.
>     I know IMAP is compiling with SSL. I tested connections with
> Netscape and with the openssl command line. The only thing that does not
> work on port 993 is telnet (but it DOES work under OpenBSD).
>     If I remove the .pem (certificate), I get SSL error messages when I
> attempt to connect to 993. Therefore, SSL encryption is enabled. My
> problem is that I can't compile PHP with imap-ssl.
>
>     My gess it that Solaris lacks some support that comes within
> OpenBSD. Does anybody know what could it be?
>
> Please help,
>
> Jose

Luis   Javier Martínez Martínez   Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
				  System Administrator
Telf:  34 (9) 63 87 72 33         Universidad  Politécnica de Valencia
Email: luimarma@iti.upv.es        Camino de Vera s/n    46071 Valencia
>     It seems nobody is understanding my problem:
>     I have two installations of IMP. One is on a OpenBSD machine, and
>     it works just fine.
>     The other one is on a sparc machine running Solaris 8.
>     I compiled uw-imap WITH SSL support. I set up port 143 for regular
>     imap, and 993 for imaps (IMAP with SSL).

So we can assume you have c-client.a.

>     I am using the latest openssl.
>     It doesn't work on 993, only on 143. The reason is because my PHP
>     won't compile with the --with-imap-ssl option.
>     I am using the --with-openssl option. I am specifying my
>     directories too.
>     It compiles just fine without the --with-imap-ssl option, but (of
>     course) it does not provide the necessary support for IMP.
>     When I try to compile PHP (latest version), it says that my
>     c-client library does not support SSL.

I'm guessing you mean that configure reports this message, not make.  Are you
building php as a DSO shared object for apache?  If so, have you built the
openssl libraries (libcrypto and libssl) as shared libraries as well as archive
form?  If not, then please go back and try rebuilding openssl with shared
libraries (e.g., "./config shared") and then try configuring php
--with-imap-ssl.

>     I know IMAP is compiling with SSL. I tested connections with
>     Netscape and with the openssl command line. The only thing that does
>     not work on port 993 is telnet (but it DOES work under OpenBSD).

*That's* weird (that telnetting to 993 on OpenBSD works), but that's for another
list.

>     If I remove the .pem (certificate), I get SSL error messages when I
>     attempt to connect to 993. Therefore, SSL encryption is enabled. My
>     problem is that I can't compile PHP with imap-ssl.
>
>     My gess it that Solaris lacks some support that comes within
>     OpenBSD. Does anybody know what could it be?

My guess is that you've built php as a static install for Apache on your OpenBSD
box. But, I could be wrong.

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
signature under NDA

This mail sent through IMP: the Internet Mail Program