IMP login problem

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:59:28 -0500 (CDT)

[I'd like to keep this discussion on the list, so that the archive gets
the answer, which may help someone else in the future.]

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Theren, Ralph <Theren@aos-stade.de> wrote:

> Going to IMP running on a server named LNX4ME with using a proxyserver in my
> intranet, all works fine.
>
> Going directly to http://lnx4me/test.php3 works well.
>
> BUT:
>
> Using http://lnx4me.domain.de/test.php3 directly (without proxyserver) leads
> to the result that the the "Per-Session Data" won't increment.
>
> Do you have an explanation for me? Any Idea?

It sounds like your server isn't resolving fully-qualified host names
properly.  One thing that jumps to mind is that if you're using MySQL to
store your PHPLIB sessions, the GRANT permissions may be letting the bare
host name (lnx4me) connect, but not the fully-qualified host name
(lnx4me.domain.de).

Which Linux distribution and version are you using?  What does "uname -n"
on the server say (bare host name or FQDN)?  What's the content of your
/etc/resolv.conf file (do you have the domain in the search path)?  How
about /etc/hosts (do you have the silly "localhost.localdomain" entry, or
does your server's IP address appear with both the bare host name and
FQDN)?  What's the host name listed for GRANT permissions (if you're using
MySQL) -- bare host name, FQDN, or "localhost"?  And in the Horde/IMP and
Apache configuration files, how do you list the server name (bare or
fully-qualified)?

I think if you play with the above settings a bit, you'll figure it out.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN