[imp] [wolfgang@train.sweet-haven.com: failure notice (fwd)]

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 08:28:31 +0100

> I don't like RPMs, they hide things which makes me nervous.
> But I loaded a fully functional SuSE 7.1 system without any
> problems, including php, apache, openssl, mysql and such.
> All was well until I went to install horde/imp.  The documentation
> led me down the path of modifying the core php system to support
> Imp.  I figured this was okay, how could it hurt?  Alas, when
> SuSE came out with an update to php it broke everything.  It
> reminded me of a MS Windows machine with conflicting .dll's!
> I definitely did not want to take the time to learn everything
> so I blew apache/php/mysql/imp away and compiled/installed from
> the source.  This time, I left out Imp under the principal that
> I don't want to modify core web server functionality to support
> one application.  If Imp can't live with my php, I don't have
> to live with Imp.  I know I could probably get it working, I
> just don't have the time to do it.

So, I'm not sure why we provide modified RPMs (Brent?)

Certainly, I can speak for the platform that I maintain (OpenBSD)
and say that the standard PHP4 from ports works just fine; no
modified version is needed.

Note that along the way, various versions of PHP have had some
nasty bugs for which we provide patches; the latest versions
of PHP3 and 4 are fine.

> So we're trying SquirrelMail instead.  Since we need only the
> web-mail capability, this looks like it will work for us.  And
> it was a snap to install without requiring mods to other parts
> of the system.

IMP 2.2 requires (in a nutshell) PHP compiled with IMAP
support and a database of some description for the session and
preferences information.  That's it.  If you can get your SuSE
RPMs to give you this, then just do a checkout of Horde
from CVS (the stable branch) and forget RPMs.  CVS makes updates
a breeze.

And Jon works for SuSE, so I'm sure he could try and help you
out ;-)

Part of the problem is how general Horde is in terms of backends
and operating systems supported - hopefully the forthcoming new
version will make things easier to manage.

Anil