[imp] HTML Mail

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:39:09 -0400

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 02:35:13PM -0500, Craig M. Dupree (cdupree@csr.utexas.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Rich Lafferty wrote:
>
> > For what it's worth, I just duplicated the problem here by sending
> > myself HTML mail and then removing the MIME-Version header. If that's
> > missing from yours, then that's almost certainly the culprit -- and
> > that'd be a problem with the mail as it arrived.
>
> Okay if I send a message to myself from Netscape, then it shows up in
> imp as an attachment which I have to download.  So it looks like this
> is the case.  I'm not very informed on MIME, since I don't send a lot
> of attachments, and I prefer to only get plaintext mail myself.  Is
> the MIME-Version header required by the RFC's.

Yep, it's a MUST according to section 4 of RFC 2045. A message without
the MIME-Version header is not a MIME message, and is thus rendered as
plain text -- that is, the Content-Type header isn't meaningful
because non-MIME messages don't have MIME types. :-)

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!