[imp] Tarball with all sources in it

Nate Carlson natecars@real-time.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:40:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Travis Zadikem wrote:
> I use Redhat 7.1.  IT DOES INCLUDE THIS, but obviously you do not do a
> lot of sysadmin stuff.  I sysadmin linux, solaris, windows 15 hours
> everyday and work with other sysadmins.  Having everything included at
> least on source side makes things a lot easier.  Anyway, when you buy
> commercial based software packages on the linux/unix side these come
> with all that is needed (footprints to name one).  The more you make
> something easier the more people will adopt to it and use it.

Speaking as a full-time sysadmin, I love RPM's.. basically, download the
source, build a spec file, build a source RPM, rebuild that source RPM on
each architecture I'd like to install it on.. it rocks!

All of the programs that IMP requires are readily available at many sites
across the 'net.. why should the over-worked IMP developers have to go
through the pain to make a single tarball and keep it updated when it just
takes 5 minutes of legwork for people to do it themselves? Remember, IMP
is free software, the goal is not to sell it, the goal is to put out a
superior product.. why waste valuable developer time doing things they
they really shouldn't have to?

--
Nate Carlson <natecars@real-time.com>   | Phone : (952)943-8700