[imp] moving/deleting option

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 01:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

CH> Quoting Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>:
CH>
CH> > I suppose you could add an option to choose whether you want to expunge all
CH> > deleted messages when you close a given folder, like the inverse of  pine's
CH> > expunge-only-manually and expunge-without-confirm.  The warning in
CH> > imp/config/conf.php for 'expunge_on_move' about unexpected results is
CH> > pertinent, though.  The problem is that c-client will expunge all deleted
CH> > messages not just the one you just deleted.
CH>
CH> No, that has _nothing_ to do with c-client. It is how the IMAP
CH> protocol works.

You're absolutely correct.  c-client is involved only in that it's the
library used by php to access an imap server - and there's no guarantee
that one's imap server is based on c-client and it's the server that does
the expunging.

CH> > Similarly, I've always thought a delete and expunge on the 'drafts' folder
CH> > would be good when opening a postponed message.  I suppose this would only
CH> > work if you have a separate folder for drafts (i.e., 'allow_resume_all' is
CH> > false).
CH>
CH> I'm rather lost as to why that would be a good idea.

As it is now, when you continue a postponed message in the drafts folder,
that postponed message is still stored in the folder.  Once you continue
and send that message, the stored copy is still there and it must be
manually deleted and expunged.  Worse, if you restart it, and then
postpone it again, you now have two copies in the drafts folder, different
versions.  There _are_ times when I do this, if I need to do something
else in the meantime or want to go check on something before finishing and
sending the message.

Cleaning up like this on a non-drafts folder, though, could lead to the
aforementioned "unexpected results" when deleted messages you might not
want to expunge are lost.

This may not be a problem for most users, and isn't really a burden, but
seems counterintuitive to me.  Since the source is readily available, it
doesn't make much difference - it can be added as another local
modification.

Clifford Green               Internet -  green@umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Services                    UMDNJ-IST