[imp] Encrypt email contents

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 00:57:23 -0400

Quoting imp@gurubase.com:

> Dear all,
>
> Are there any methods to encrypt the mail message / attachments back to
> the server? ( like using digital certificate ) I am now using cyrus and imp
> of 1.2.6

If you're thinking of s/mime for imp, then no.  At least, I couldn't find any.

I'm very interested in corresponding/collaborating on this.

The openssl_ functions should work nicely, either the prefs table or another
could be used for storing public keys of correspondents, whatever the backend is
(e.g., MySQL or LDAP or whatever) and the same goes for one's private key(s).
Storing and protecting keys for roaming users represents some real challenges,
and would definitely require some strong warnings for admins and implementers,
but I think it can be done.

For me, at least, this is right up there with iCal services as the two things
I'm most eager to see in imp.

Otherwise, I don't think there's much beyond verifying pgp/gpg signatures just
yet.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
signature under NDA

This mail sent through IMP: the Internet Mail Program