[imp] Encrypt email contents

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:17:19 -0400

Quoting Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>:

> Otherwise, I don't think there's much beyond verifying pgp/gpg signatures just
> yet.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!

You're not wrong. A long time ago there was a provision for signing emails
using personal certs using a netscape-specific javascript function, but it
wasn't being maintained, so we had to rip it out.

> The openssl_ functions should work nicely, either the prefs table or another
> could be used for storing public keys of correspondents, whatever the backend
> is (e.g., MySQL or LDAP or whatever) and the same goes for one's private key
> (s). Storing and protecting keys for roaming users represents some real
> challenges, and would definitely require some strong warnings for admins and
> implementers, but I think it can be done.

I'd love to see some work done on this. It'd have to go in post-2.4.0, but
there's no reason it couldn't work into point releases, if the changes aren't
sweeping and don't rely on Horde. I don't have time to do it myself, but I'll
be happy to oversee code/merge patches/give advice/etc.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.