IMP 2.3.7 Session Timeout Question

Oakes, Edward B eoakes@RADFORD.EDU
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:34:15 -0400

We have several thousand people using IMP 2.3.7cvs
and everyone feels it is much better than 2.2.x.
Thanks for everyone's hard work!!

I am however having a problem with the php session
timeout.  I have just adjusted the maxlifetime
value for php, but I know this will not fully solve
the problem.  I have compose in a separate window
turned Off by default.  People tend to like this a
little better, but I may be able solve the problem
by turning this back on and set a default to check for
new mail every 30 minutes.  I haven't tested this
thoroughly yet.

Here is the scenario.

A user sits down to compose a really long message.
I have had users say they have been working on composing
a message for an hour or two.  When they finally
finish composing their message they click submit and
because their session has expired the message is not
sent and it is gone.  I have adjusted my session timeout
to 75 minutes but I know some users are still going to
have problems.  I don't really want to go much higher
than 75 minutes for those people that walk away from
a computer without logging out of imp.

Is there any way we can easily let them know when their
session may expire from the compose screen?  Any other
thoughts on this other than have them click for a
spell check from time to time while they are
composing?

Ed Oakes               Phone: (540) 831-6233
Radford University     Fax:   (540) 831-5555
Academic Computing     Email: eoakes@radford.edu

http://www.radford.edu/~acadcomp