[imp] Performance scaling.

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:22:42 -0400

At 02:13 PM 26/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:45:08PM -0400, Michael Bull wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to hear from other administrators of IMP, particularly those
> > running IMP+Apache+Postgres on how they've optimized their system to better
> > handle load.   Our web-mail service launch here at the University of Guelph
> > is now in it's first full year of production use, and we're getting almost
> > 10,000 logins to webmail per day on our Sun E250 server; at the busy points
> > in the day, we're running 1000 process and the machine is 0% idle.
>
>How much of that load is related to the performance of the IMAP
>server?

I don't suspect it to be the bottleneck - it's a dedicated separate HP J7000
running UW.    This is IMP 2.3 as opposed to 2.2, not sure how that effects
comparisons on how people are managing with their machine performance.
The load on the machine at full out is roughly half and half, user and kernel.