[imp] 3 UI questions for the 2.3.7 dev team

Mike Coughlan mcoughlan@gothambroadband.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:14:53 -0400

Thanks for the reply.

I understand your point, Alexander, but the reality is that the vast
majority of all email addresses follow the pattern
"username@domainname.tld", and most email input forms on the Internet check
for a "@" and at least one "."  That leads me to believe that this is a
valuable feature to many people.

As stated earlier, any deviation could result in a warning and a [yes] [no]
message box to send the mail anyway.  I believe many IMP users would enjoy
enabling, those that don't could disable it.

This also would be helpful if users forget to "Expand Names" for Turba, as
names are not looked up automatically.  Otherwise, if IMP 2.3.7 & Turba are
deployed at a large institution, government, or University where the MTA
routs locally by default, this probably will result in a human error where
mail is delivered to the wrong person.

IMP could leave it up to the MTA to bounce mail, but I would prefer to see
something more proactive so as to remain competitive with other full
featured mail clients, and webmail services.

> Why duplicate the work?  There's already a check in, which informs you
> after send has been pushed.

I now understand that my suggestion does not seem to fit into the HORDE
error reporting method.  To that I can only add that our UI group did not
notice the error icon & message at the top of the page.  Neither did I.
Message boxes are unsightly, but the HORDE error output is not eye-catching.

> And Javascript, well, I suppose quite some
> have it disabled after the Nimda worm...

IMP already makes use of JavaScript so I do not see this as a valid
argument.