[imp] Slowness with big mailboxes

Rick Romero Rick@valeoinc.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:17:00 -0500

On 2 Oct 2001 at 10:40, Peter Farrow wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> I have set imp up on a Red Hat Linux machine (7.0 and 7.1) and found the
> following information:
>
> On Red Hat 7.0 running on a single PIII 650 machine with 256 Megs of RAM
> takes a long time (>1 Min)to open a mailbox with 3000 or so messages in it,

I don't think my earlier post made it (I was playing with email clients
at the time..), but I've noticed the same thing on my Red Hat
system.  I think it's 7.0.  IIRC, my Apache was eating like 27MB on
startup.

The web server is  a Compaq PIII 800, and it's noticably slower than
Pegasus Mail and KMail, using IMAP.

I personally think it's the build of Apache with PHP, but that specific
install isn't used enough for me to spend the time needed to fix the
problem..    But it's another place for you to look.

Rick