[imp] Slowness with big mailboxes

Peter Farrow PeterF@3d-computers.co.uk
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:40:20 +0100

Dear Paul,

I have set imp up on a Red Hat Linux machine (7.0 and 7.1) and found the
following information:

On Red Hat 7.0 running on a single PIII 650 machine with 256 Megs of RAM
takes a long time (>1 Min)to open a mailbox with 3000 or so messages in it,

On Red Hat 7.1 running on a Dual Celeron 366 machine with 512Megs RAM it
takes around 10 seconds to do the same thing.

So its either: Red Hat 7.1, RAM or twin CPUs that makes the difference for
me.

Notably, when connecting  to a Micro$oft Exchange server it takes about 10x
as long than connecting to a real mail server running Solaris on an E4000
machine, even when the Mailboxes are of comparable complexity.

I know this isn't much help, but it gives you somewhere to start!  An Imap
proxy moves the delay downstream and may not help as much as you need.

Regards

Peter Farrow
peterf@3d-computers.co.uk
Technical Director