Handling SMTP rejection

Federico Sevilla III jijo@leathercollection.ph
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 23:49:16 +0800 (PHT)

Hi everyone,

I'm using a CVS snapshot of Horde, IMP, and Turba dated 20010425. It's
doing pretty okay and I just haven't updated to the latest CVS because I
haven't had the time to repeat the install procedure (fixing the
configuration files so they work, wish there were an easier way to upgrade
these).

Lately I did some changes to my Postfix installation so that it outright
rejects mail for invalid users, instead of accepting it and then sending a
bounce back report.

This is great except when sending mail via IMP, which uses SMTP to
localhost, aside from a delay there is no error message that would allow
the user to know that the recipient(s) is/are invalid. What's worse,
because my Postfix doesn't handle sending the bounceback error reports
anymore, they won't know that things went wrong.

Does the current CVS copy handle this? If not, would anyone know how this
could be fixed? It would be great if after sending the "Send" button and
the connection to the SMTP server somehow fails the page is modified
(retaining the e-mail data) with a copy of the error message or something
like that. :)

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.