[imp] Compiling PHP and other problems

Ty Christensen webmaster@mastermindpro.com
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 17:54:12 -0700

To be honest, no, I've never tried building my own RPM's...I'm barely
figuring out how to build something from the tarball's in the first place!

I might try your second idea, though...it seems promising to a neophyte like
myself.

BTW, what's the most commonly used app to build RH RPM's?

Thanks,
Ty

-----Original Message-----
From: Federico Sevilla III [mailto:jijo@leathercollection.ph]
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 5:48 PM
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] Compiling PHP and other problems

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001 at 10:22, Ty Christensen wrote:
> Don't you love subject lines like that? :^)

I do. And tend to make mine in a similar fashion. :) :)

> OK, here's the scoop.  I'm somewhat new to compiling my own software,
> but I learn very quickly and I'm very good at following instructions.
> I'm currently running:

Have you by any chance tried building your own RPMs? I don't use RPMs
anymore (moved from RedHat to Debian, and I prefer Debian's deb format but
an rpm vs deb are not for discussion here so let's leave it at this), but
when I used to and had to recompile software, I did not like venturing
into using tarballs because of the fact after "make install" it's hard to
tell which files belong to which package. Package management allows you to
easily track these, and manage dependencies, et al.

I believe there are two paths for you:

1. Get the tarballs and write your own spec file to build your own RPMs.

2. Get the source RPMs and tweak the spec file to build your copy of
someone else's RPM design (but this doesn't matter really except that you
don't start from ground zero).

> Since I have everything that is needed already installed and
> functioning via the RPM installs, is there any way I can do a custom
> build of PHP and "insert" it where my existing PHP RPM files reside?
> Would the PHP Apache module still function, or would it get tripped up
> on this sort of move?

If you can build your own RPMs of the CVS snapshots you need, and know
they're working, you can simply upgrade your RPM and get the old ones
properly replaced. :)

But this doesn't completely answer your questions. Unfortunately I haven't
tried working on the CVS snapshot of PHP so I wouldn't know other than to
recommend that you start from some source RPM (you can use someone's
working spec file, use the CVS snapshot, and try to work from there to
tweak the spec file).

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo@leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.