[imp] imp questions (usability issues)

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:02:38 -0400

--On Sunday, October 14, 2001 10:57 PM -0700 Max Kalika <max@lsit.ucsb.edu>
wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Tucker <jefft@wciatl.com>:
>
>> OK, this one anyway I'm trying to run down. It looks to me like the
>> problem is that imp or imap c-client isn't putting quotes around the
>> string [imp]  and my reading of RFC2060 and the SORT extension makes me
>> think it should.  I'm not sure just yet which piece is broken, but I'll
>> try to find out and  report back.
>
> Just on filters, or searching as well?

Searching, too. I did my test by searching in a single folder for a subject
string of [imp].

Different IMAP servers probably handle this differently. Courier IMAP will
search for:
imp
"[imp]"

but not
[imp]

That latter string returns an IMAP error. My reading of RFC2060 makes me
thing search strings should always be quoted, like:
"imp"
"[imp]"

For some reason, Courier is letting me search for imp without quotes but
not [imp]. However, I think the real problem is that c-client/imp should be
quoting all strings. Unless I've just got this totally screwed up.

Jeff

--
Jeff Tucker
Williams Consulting, Inc.