[imp] authentication problem in log files

Todd Lyons todd@mrball.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:55:20 -0700

Bernard Paris wanted us to know:

>I gest this is the same problem I posted on 16 oct 2001, "imapd Login
>failure from IMP":
>Oct 15 14:48:52 guppy imapd[24717]: Login failure user=\200)^H
>Oct 15 14:48:55 guppy imapd[24715]: Login failure user=P')^H

I had what seemed like the same problem.  It turns out that I was using a
broken copy of imp.  I had copied over the horde directory from one of the
developers I _thought_ it was a working, but he was neck deep into custom-
izing some stuff.  His changes had broken something so that it logged in
twice extra with random characters.  I had been fighting this for some
time.  I found it first with tcpdump, but thought I must have been reading
it wrong.  Then when I ran the ldap directory in debug mode, it quite
clearly was doing a search for random characters.  The whole time it was
acting like a dns timeout, so I concentrated on that.  The end result is
that I got djbdns wired and running very smooth, but the timeout was
still occurring.  That was when I started looking back at the imap server
and found the extra logins.

I was fortunate in that I had a properly working copy of imp to use for
comparison.
--
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Are you feeling lucky...punk?         |