[imp] Possible bug, or DOS?

Robert Marchand robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:28:10 -0500

Hi,

      we seem to have the same problem.  I didn't post yet to imp list
because I was not
sure if it was IMP or APACHE related.  Maybe both.

      From what I've seen for us, it didn't cause loss of performance with
the server (we have
a big UNIX box).  It's always days after when looking at Analog's output
that I found lots
of redirect (more than thousands of them) and saw that it seems to be a bug
with some
browsers that keep resending the same request and getting the same response.  I
tought it would be someone closing is session in IMP but keeping his
browser open and
going elsewhere.  I had one case that last for almost a week and suddently
stop monday
around 9 o'clock.  Someone coming back from holidays :-)?

Anyway, try to kill the httpd instance to see if it helps.  It seems to
only occurs with
keep-alive (HTTP/1.1) connections.  Right now I'm doing a Perl script to
detect it in real time.  I'll also try to see when it began.

Bye.

At 09:43 01-11-01 -0500, Matt Goebel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>   We are running IMP 2.2.6 and it has been running great for a couple of
>months now.  But in the last week twice I've noticed an odd problem.
>The server IMP is running on will slow way down, and I'll find
>a huge number of entries like this in our apache access log file :
>
>x.x.x.x - - [31/Oct/2001:16:59:46 -0500] "GET
>/horde/imp/view.php3/login.php3?reason=logout HTTP/1.1" 302 5
>
>   All from the same address, with about 10 such entries a second.  I
>end up having to deny access to the IP to get the server running
>reasonably again.  Any ideas if this is some odd behavior from IMP, a
>broken browser, or just one of our users being annoying?
>
>Many Thanks,
>Matt Goebel
>
>--
>Matthew Goebel : goebel@emunix.emich.edu : Unix Jockey @ EMU : Hail Eris
>Neo-Student, Net Lurker, Donut consumer, and procrastinating Furry Fan.
>  "Always with the negative waves, Moriarty" - Oddball
>  "Comfort the troubled, and trouble the comfortable." - Dietrich=
 Bonhoeffer