Updating Pear on a RH7.2 system

Ty Christensen webmaster@mastermindpro.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:56:56 -0800

I just upgraded a test system to RH7.2, and I noticed that it has PHP
4.0.6 as the default PHP version.  I thought it might be easier to
install and use the new Horde and Imp, but I'm obviously wrong.

I knew I needed the newer PEAR version, so I just downloaded it from
ftp.horde.org.  As near as I could tell, the directory that PEAR was
located in was /usr/share/php.  I didn't find any other directory that
contained that stuff.  I did as the instructions suggested, and I
extracted the newer PEAR within that folder replacing what was there.  I
restarted Apache and went to the test.php page.  Here's what I'm facing
now:

1) The test.php page still shows the RPM version of PEAR, not the newer
version.
2) A view of PHP info shows that one of the configure parameters
was --without-mysql...which I thought was odd, since the Horde test page
showed MySQL as being supported.
3) I've got Horde authenticating via MySQL, and when I try to login, I
get nothing and am promptly put back at the login page.  I assume this
is also a PEAR problem.

So, from reading on the list, it appears that I need an even newer
version of PEAR.  How can I get just the newer version of PEAR from CVS
or snapshot?

Thanks,

Ty Christensen
Master Mind Productions