[imp] Problem with mail stores...

Richard Russell richard@yellowgoanna.com
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 16:54:12 +1030

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:10:03AM -0500, Cliff Green wrote:
> Quoting Richard Russell <richard@yellowgoanna.com>:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:38:47PM -0500, Cliff Green wrote:
> > > It sounds like your pop client is honoring the flags set on mail
> > > that's been read and doesn't bother downloading what's not marked as
> > > new mail.
> >
> > possibly, but this occurs even before reading the mail on IMP...
>
> How about after some other mail client?  Any other kind of pattern you can
> think of?

not that i have seen...

> > > Try this:  after reading mail with imp (or whatever imap client you
> > > like), go back and mark one or more (or all) of them as unseen.  Then
> > > see if your pop client can see them.
> >
> > I shall indeed try that, but I don't like it's chances (see above)...
> > My present theory is that it's some disagreement between the IMAPd and
> > the POPd on my mail server...
>
> Which daemons are you using?

to be honest, I have no idea. I've tried to find out, but  the mail
server is old and solaris, and the daemons could be anything. There is
no documentation, and they don't give me any clues... They are
probably Sun Solaris 2.6's standard IMAP and POP daemons...

> > I think IMAPd may be storing the mail
> > somewhere different to pop or somthign like that ... but I see no
> > evidence of this...
>
> All things being equal, that should only happen if you've got some
> filtering going on, like with procmail.  In that case, you might have mail
> being delivered to a folder other than INBOX, in which case your pop
> clients will never see it.

true -- AFAIk, there is no procmailing...

thanks....

rr