[imp] Resetting sort order

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:30:50 -0500

--On Sunday, November 18, 2001 12:03 AM -0500 Chuck Hagenbuch
<chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Tucker <jefft@wciatl.com>:
>
>> Mulberry shows the message number in its UI. This would be very useful
>> for  another thing that I find myself doing. Often I read a message and
>> then  return to the mailbox view and lose track of what message I just
>> read. When I'm reading a message, it says 7 of 23, for instance. When I

<snip>

> The message number is different from that sequence ("7 of 23"); if we
> used  message numbers, then hitting next from that message might get you
> "19 of 23"  as the next message, and "2 of 23" after that - all depends
> on the sort order.  So I think that would be confusing.

That's a valid point. As a point of comparison, though, that's exactly how
Mulberry does it. So, when I'm reading a mailbox and have my messages
sorted by threads, the message numbers are all out of order, as are the
numbers I get when actually reading messages one by one. Still, it provides
a unique key for identifying messages and would also provide you with a
convenient sort key.

Since you don't provide a threaded view, I'm guessing that most work gets
done in the default numerical sort anyway. There really needs to be a way
to get back to that if you click anything else.

Jeff

--
Jeff Tucker
Williams Consulting, Inc.