Read receipts

Henry Blackman h.blackman@chester.ac.uk
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:57:11 -0000

Hello.

A question, something I'm not sure about.  Read receipts in IMP 3, firstly
read receipts aren't sent from our other main client (Pegasus) when
requested from IMP.  I'm blaming Pegasus for not doing this properly, the
headers it seems to require are:

Return-receipt-to: email@domain.com

Or at least those are the headers it sends.  I've patch my IMP 3 here to add
those headers (keeping the "Disposition-Notification-To" in there too), and
it seems to do it's job now (additionally Outlook doesn't
complain/malfunction with the extra headers).  Just to check, is Pegasus
wrong to use these headers, or is IMP/Outlook?  Which is the correct method,
or is there one?

Also, and more importantly, is IMP supposed to send a read receipt itself
when a mail is opened that is flagged for the sender to receive a read
receipt?  I'm wondering because that is probably our most requested features
here... A "feature" I personally find annoying, but still.

TIA,
Henry