[imp] Strange IMP/Vmailmgr behavior

Mahlon mahlon@martini.nu
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:40:22 -0800

At 03:19 PM 1/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>Just cvs'ed the horde 2 framework and imp 3.0.
>Grabbed the newest pear libs, and went to town.
>
>Using qmail+courier+vmailmgr.
>
>Everything works *perfectly* with imp - until vmailmgr gets in the mix.
>
>General testing shows:
>
>o    IMAP from a normal MUA (mutt, eudora) works as expected with vmailmgr.
>
>o    IMP works fine to normal system users via IMAP when vmailmgr is off.
>
>When logging into a vmailmgr acct with IMP, I am successfully authed, and
>IMP reports new messages - but is unable to display any. For example, when
>logging into a mailbox that has 29 messages, IMP reports in the upper
>right "Page 2 of 2  -  21 to 29 of 29 messages" - yet it shows no message
>list where you'd normally expect to see it.
>(checkboxes, from, subjects, etc)
>I'd be happy to attach a screenshot if the above description doesn't make
>sense, I'm not sure how to describe it past that.
>
>I change courier's auth to standard, and login to a standard system
>account, and all is beautiful.
>
>Tried leaving out the folder prefix, setting it to 'INBOX.', 'INBOX', etc.
>All results are the same.  (I'd assume that the folder prefix is irrelivant,
>since IMP reports the number of new messages found correctly.)
>
>Anyone seen this behavior before?  What's the trick?

Just adding this to the archive at MARC, since no one had an answer,
and I couldn't find anything pertaining to this on MARC already.

After a good day of head pounding, I found the problem not to be with
IMP/Horde itself, but with a courier-imap setting.

The 'trick' is to leave IMAP_DISABLETHREADSORT  to enabled (1) in
the imap settings file.  Apparently, IMP relies on the server to do the
sorting - something I didn't grok until after the fact.  :)

I still don't understand why I am only seeing this behavior in use with
vmailmgr, but at this point, I'm just happy it's all fired up and running
nicely.

Mahlon E. Smith
http://www.martini.nu/