[imp] Maildir, IMAP, HP-UX ...

Miroslaw Jaworski mjaw@ipartners.pl
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:55:47 +0100

* Donatas V. (vyzard@yahoo.com) [020121 15:47] wrote:
> Hi!
> so my questions:
>
> 1. Does IMP support Maildir format? I use qmail with
> Maildir and I wouldn't like to change that.

IMP doesn't "support" any of the format. IMP
uses POP3 or IMAP protocols to talk to mail systems.

> 2. Imp would be installed to computer with apache and
> php in which users store all their mail in Maildir
> format(in their homedirs). Will it be enough to
> install imp(and, of course, php with imap support)?or
> I need imap server?

IMP can use your mail system's POP3 "interface".  If this is as shell
accounts machine and you do not give your users POP3 and/or IMAP service,
you will have to launch appropiate daemon ( on the loopback interface
for example ) and configure your IMP to connect to the POP3/IMAPi service
on localhost.

IMP itself doesn't have the detailed knowledge how to deal with mailboxes.
Mail systems are designed for it.
IMP is a way of viewing the mailbox, interface to do some tasks ( get messages
list, purge messages ... ), some handy tools ( addressbook ) and script for
sending emails ( which talks to local sendmail to do it ).
It's a big simplification, but it should give you an idea.

3rd question is for HPUX players, so i've omitted it.

> 4. I am going to use PostgreSQL as a database. I
> looked for the scripts in horde instalation.
> Everything looked fine, except that i dont know where
> is password "horde". I read that i have to change that
> password to non-default, but i cant locate the place
> where the password is.

IMP stores some informations in the database, so you have to create
the database. What you saw, it's an example. Any password you will
define for the user who has to control database in your Postgresql,
should be configured in your horde installation.

> 5.Is there any information, how imp generally works?

Go to the FAQ section on www.horde.org - you will find there both
User and Administrator FAQ which cover probably all the issues
you interested in.

M.

--
Miroslaw.Jaworski@ipartners.pl  ( Psyborg )  MJ102-RIPE  Internet Partners
Server Administration Department Manager