Large scale webmail usage

terrence@3development.be terrence@3development.be
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:17:47 +0000

Hi,

I am planning a setup for hosting a free imp3 based webmail service for
casual/home users.

Config: Sendmail 8.12/Cyrus IMAPD 2.x/Mysql/IMP3/Apache/PHP

I was wondering if anyone of you imp-guru's has any information to share with
me concerning the diskspace/cpu usage of this type of imap use.

What do you think would be the maximum amount of 25MB mailboxes i can run
comfortly on the following HW (IMAP cyrus store only) ?:

Intel Pentium III 1+ GHz
2048 MB ram
RAID-5 UW SCSI 64-bit PCI with conv. amount of disks (maybe split over 2 ch)
FreeBSD 4.4RELEASE

Does 10.000 mailboxes seem reasonable?, considering i put 2 or 3 equal machines
in front of this store acting as the apache/php/imp engines (using a load
balacing device) ?

Any information at all will be very usefull, and much appreciated :-)

Greetings,
Terrence Vergauwen
Kontich, Belgium